Why we exist
We need a fundamental shift from a PROFIT-focused society and economy to a PEOPLE-focused one where politicians and policies aim to serve people, not corporations. SBPA works to elect such candidates and enact progressive policies, and to bring independent politics to our cities and communities. We invite you to join us and become a part of this societal shift.
We are the people we've been waiting for! Someone who can speak up against the social injustice in our communities. Someone who will put a stop to back-room deals and undue corporate influence in our city halls. Someone who will champion those least represented and most affected by unjust policies. Someone who demands from our local government, what we deserve. That's all of us.
Who we are
The SBPA seeks to develop an inclusive and diverse new leadership. We will build the power needed to level the playing field for all people regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, class, age, status, history, opportunities, and physical abilities. We prioritize leadership development, recruitment and support of candidates for office among the same under-represented groups who are aligned with our core values.
We incorporate in our organization and activities, ‘Universal Design’, the practice of building an environment usable to the greatest extent possible by EVERYONE. Because together, we thrive. Add your vote and your voice to ours.
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
SBPA Steering Committee
The SBPA Steering Committee makes decisions on the organization's actions, collaborations, and endorsements, to primarily guide and steer SBPA on high level issues and strategies. This guidance creates our platform of ISSUES and informs the work of our Action Teams.
The current SBPA Steering Committee was elected prior to launch by the founding organizers. SBPA Members will vote to elect our new slate of Steering Committee nominees in the January 2018 Membership meeting.
Current SBPA Steering Committee members are:
- Co-coordinators - Nassim Nouri & Rob Means
- Communications Chair - Jeff Levin
- Membership Chair - Peggy Elwell
- Finance Chair and Treasurer - Gerry Hunt
- Recording Secretary - Nassim Nouri
- Elections Action Team - Richard Hobbs
- Education Action Team - Roxana Marachi
- Justice Reform Action Team - Susan Wolfe
- Climate Action Team - Christine Pepin
- Electoral Reform Action Team - David Mihai
- At-large members - Liz Gonzalez, Omar Vasquez, Chris Lepe
- Allied organizations - California Nurses Association (Alyssa Kang), NAACP of San Jose (Derek Grasty), Laborers International Union Local #270 (Enrique Arguello), PAWIS - Pilipino Organization of Workers and Immigrants (Michael Dalupo), Affordable Housing Network (Sandy Perry), 350 Silicon Valley (Brian Haberly).
Info [at] SouthBayPA [dot] org
P. O. Box 5397, San Jose, CA 95150-5397
Facebook & Twitter @SouthBayPA
The South Bay Progressive Alliance is an unincorporated not-for-profit association registered in the State of California and Santa Clara County.
"Individually, we are but one drop, together, we are an ocean" - Rumi
SBPA Action Teams
Action Teams are the basic unit of research and action around specific issues in SBPA. Our members can propose new Action Team and present it to other members and the Steering Committee for recognition.
View the SBPA Bylaws here.